Heartland for Children coordinates a community-wide effort to provide information and resources to parents/caregivers, professionals, business partners and community leaders on how each person in our community can help contribute to preventing child abuse and neglect.
Through presentations, community awareness activities and parenting tip sheets, Heartland for Children hopes to bring awareness of the importance of helping families before harm occurs and the importance of positive parenting practices.
During the month of April each year, Heartland for Children partners with other child serving agencies to implement the Pinwheels for Prevention campaign for Child Abuse Prevention Month. During the month, initiatives focus on holding family-friendly events, educating the public about how they can help to prevent child abuse and providing resources to advocates and families to help strengthen families. During Child Abuse Prevention Month, pinwheels will be prominently displayed throughout the community at local businesses and other community locations.
To learn more about becoming a Child Abuse Prevention Partner or what activities are planned, please contact (863) 519-8900, ext. 214 or check out our Prevention calendar.
For more information on the national Pinwheels for Prevention campaign, visit www.pinwheelsforprevention.org.
Pinwheels in the Park
Child Abuse Prevention Month 2016 Events
Opportunities for Involvement - Child Abuse Prevention Month 2016
April is nationally recognized as Child Abuse Prevention Month. The Pinwheels for Prevention® campaign uses a simple child’s toy to remind us that we all play an important role in children’s lives.
Throughout the month of April, local agencies and child advocates will be raising awareness about the importance of taking an active role in promoting healthy child development, positive parenting practices and community action so that child abuse and neglect never occur. Polk, Hardee and Highlands Counties will be proudly displaying pinwheels to serve as a reminder that we all have a responsibility to ensure children grow up healthy and safe in our communities. To find out more about how you can get involved, please visit www.heartlandforchildren.org or www.ounce.org.
How You Can Help
- Participate in April events
- Sponsor a pinwheel garden or vase bouquet display
- Display information/signage at your place of business
- Help spread the message about the importance of preventing child abuse
- Help disseminate parenting information
- Become a fan of our Facebook page (Pinwheels for Prevention – Polk, Hardee and Highlands Counties) by clicking the “like” button.
- Include a prevention message in your newsletter/website (available on Heartland’s website)
- Help us find opportunities to post information, display pinwheels, play TV spots, etc.
- 9:00 am | Highlands County Board of County Commissioners Proclamation at the County Commission Chambers, Sebring
- 5:00 pm | Polk County School Board Proclamation at Ridge Community High School, Davenport
- 9:00 am | City of Lakeland Proclamation at City Hall, Lakeland
- 8:00 am | Highlands County Pinwheels for Prevention Celebration by the Courthouse entrance, Sebring
- 5:30 pm | Highlands County School Board Proclamation at the Highlands County School Board office, Sebring
- 6:00 pm | City of Lake Wales Proclamation at City Hall, Lake Wales
- 8:30 am | Hardee County Board of County Commissioners Proclamation at the County Commission Chambers, Wauchula
- 10:30 am | “2016 Pinwheels for Prevention Truck Tour” Celebration at the Courthouse, Wauchula, following the Proclamation
- 6:30 pm | City of Winter Haven Proclamation at City Hall, Winter Haven
- 5:00 pm | Hardee County School Board Proclamation at the Hardee County School Board Office, Wauchula
- 9:00 am | Polk County Board of County Commissioners Proclamation at County Commission Chambers, Bartow
- 8:00 am | Healthy Families Pinwheels for Prevention Run at McLaughlin Middle School, Lake Wales
- 10 am - 4 pm | Heaven’s Saints Motorcycle Ministry Pinwheels for Prevention Community Festival at the American Legion Post #72, Mulberry
- 5:00 pm | Lakeland Flying Tigers/Pinwheels in the Park at Henley Field, Lakeland - Gates open at 5:00pm; game starts at 6:00 pm
View the full calendar event details here!
Family Development Guide (English, Spanish & Creole)
Family Advocacy Guide (English & Spanish)
Pinwheels for Prevention Resources
Coloring Pages & Activities
Loop the Lake
Loop the Lake is Kappa Delta Sorority's annual 5k run! We begin on Florida Southern's campus and run around Lake Hollingsworth with color powder thrown at the begining and end of race.
80% of the proceeds go directly to the Kappa Delta local philanthropic beneficiary, Heartland for Children. The other 20% goes to the national philanthropic beneficiary, Prevent Child Abuse America!
Come join us for a morning full of fun!